Saturday, December 11, 2010

two months later... finals and festivities

This post is the first in a series of backdated entries that will cover the events that transpired from finals week and my 21st birthday party until my return to the University of Minnesota.

Monday was my first final at Uni. Edinburgh. It had been meant to be rescheduled, and then all of a sudden we found out that the department had received special permission to hold the exam on Monday as planned. This was both good and bad news. Good: Chelsea and I didn't have to worry about the conflict with our trip to London/Paris... Bad: I hadn't really started studying at all. Luckily, we knew pretty much everything that would be on the exam. Chelsea and I ate a delightful lunch at Metropol (how had I not discovered this place earlier!?!?) before heading over to take our test. It ended up not being so bad. I forgot a guy's name that I probably should have known for one of my essays, but whatever, I am pretty sure I did okay.

Tuesday, I crammed for my City of Rome exam, that would be held Wednesday, aka my 21st birthday!! I got the exam done, and felt pretty decent about it. Strangely enough, one of the girls taking an exam in the same room (for a different class) is also a volunteer at Science Museum of Minnesota. She goes to Macalester, and we had met previously. Small world, eh? So, I went home, bought two adorable cakes from Choco-Latte (my first purchase there ever!), and got ready for my party. People started coming over and we played drinking dreidl until everybody was there and we ate some cake. It was soooo good. I was sad, though, because my dear friend Sarah was feeling under the weather, and my equally dear friend Emily had too much work to do, and so they didn't make it over. Nevertheless, we had a large cohort making its way to Koko, and when we got there, a few of my friends were waiting for us. We staked out all the good couches and the merriment began in earnest. I don't usually drink a lot, but everybody kept buying me drinks, so I was having a pretty damn good time. It was cool that my two groups of friends seemed to blend pretty well and get along. Somehow, I managed to be a rather functional human being the next day, though I did not end up walking over to Amisha's to say goodbye before she left, because it was suuper cold, and I thought we were going to see each other in London.

My friend Liz, who had missed my party because of studying (so sad) came over and ate some cake, and then Chelsea and Lindsey and I got Karen Wong's Chinese food and discovered how absolutely amazing it was (seriously way too late in the game). Somewhere in there, I studied for the archaeology exam that was in two days. I spent most of the next day cramming as well. On Saturday, Chelsea, Sam, and I congregated at Metropol before the impending doom, then waited outside the exam hall with the other bundles of nerves about to take this terrible exam. I think I did fine, in the end, but I was super mad because I was closing my booklet as the point came when you had to stay in the room til the end, so I had to wait it out. It was definitely weird to be totally done with academics at University of Edinburgh, but I was also immensely relieved that I was done with finals! It was definitely time to celebrate...

No comments:

Post a Comment