Sunday, December 26, 2010

the exodus

As you all are aware, Edinburgh (and the UK as a whole) experienced crazy snow (by Edinburgh standards anyway) around the time everybody was trying to get back. As a result, a lot of my friends got stuck in various places for a few days. In my last few days, I wandered about the city, saw Holyrood Palace (wish I'd done that when the grounds were open), and packed and cleaned. The snow restricted what I could do, so I never made it to Craigmillar or to Roslin Chapel. Obviously, I will just have to come back, right?

In my last few days, I did Christmas shopping, went to the Christmas market with Craig (he bought me Fire Punch.... mmmmmmmmm), andLeeAnn and I hung out a few times, since we were the last few Americans left around. It was soooo depressingly sad to say goodbye to everybody. Especially when everybody was gone from my apartment... poor Katea had so many problems getting out, but at least she eventually made it. On Tuesday it was go time. I was checking my train to London compulsively... and it was cancelled. All trains to London were cancelled because of some track issues. I was a mess... After calling my mom and dad, I sent the Rigbys an email asking if I could stay with them for a night in case I left my dorm and got locked out in the event of a cancelled train. They are such wonderfully nice people, they even invited me to stay for Christmas, but I was flying out on Christmas so I had to miss out on the chance... but it was definitely nice to get home and be with my own family :) Anyway, back to my train. I got on a bus to Waverley to try and get sorted... I found out that I could take the VirginRail West Coast service that left a little later. So I ran home, got all my stuff, and got back on a bus to Waverley. I sat around for FOREVER and it was soooo cold. The train kept being delayed more and more and more. When they finally announced a track, there was a mad scramble to get on and get seats since every person trying to get to London that day was trying to get on this train. Luckily, I had gotten on in the compartment that didn't have assigned seats for booked passengers, so I was safe. Unfortunately, there was a screaming baby, and then later in the very, very, very long train ride, very annoying smallish children.

I read my book, watched I Love You Man, and tried to sleep. Finally, I got to London and managed to get to Waterloo Station, which was near Cary's flat. It was SO good to see her, since I hadn't seen her since high school!! It was about 11 by the time I got there, but we stayed up til 3 or so reminiscing and catching up on each other's lives. The next day we woke up really late and did some more sightseeing. The following may be out of order because I'm bad at remembering days, but Cary and I went to Covent Gardens, the Natural History Museum (SO COOL), the British Museum, the Hyde Park Winter Wonderland, Selfridges Department Store, and the Tate Modern. We also went shopping at Primark, and went to a bar, but that did not end well for Cary's roommate, and so I ended up chilling with Cary's roommate's friend until we decided to go back.

On Christmas Eve, Cary had to get to the airport, and I was going to the Hilton at the airport, so we decided to go together by Tube. This may not have been the best choice, because of heavy luggage going on and off the tube and stuff, and we had left later than planned... we thought about trying to get a cab, but the guy advised us the tube would be faster. I was kind of worried that Cary would miss her flight, but she got there in time, hooray! I checked into the hotel and collapsed for a bit, had some tea, watched TV, and started to get sick. Yuck. I went to the airport and ate dinner at a pub there, then came back, and I couldn't sleep because I was all riled up for my flight the next day. I woke up ludicrously early, checked out, got to my terminal at the airport, and waited like an hour to check in, because business class check in was not open, so there was only one guy checking in all the business class and gold level whatever fliers. It was sooo obnoxious. I got through security with minimal problems, and then chilled out in the AA lounge until it was time to go to the gate. I had some tasty food and some more tea. I got on the plane, and maaaaan business class is nice. Except that I was starting to get really sick. So much so that I didn't really enjoy my flight too much, especially because I couldn't eat the ben and jerry's ice cream or partake of the alcohol. However, I did watch a lot of movies with the comfort of Bose noise cancelling headphones and a lot of space to recline. I couldn't sleep, though.

When I got home, I got through customs really fast and my family wasn't there yet to pick me up. When they got there, I was so glad to see them. I missed them so much in Edinburgh! I got home, and talked to my neighbors who came to say hi for a while, then we did Christmas. Everybody liked the stuff I got them, so I was really happy. Christmas dinner was amazing as usual. But I was so tired that I missed grasshopper pie, which is like the highlight of the year. I woke up the next day feeling even more sick, and more tired, and just generally gross, but at least I was home.

No comments:

Post a Comment