Friday, November 5, 2010

remember, remember the fifth of november

Today, Chelsea and I decided to go to Glasgow to go shopping because we felt like we didn't really have any clothes. It was a lovely trip, and we had a fantastic time and went to a delightful restaurant. It was also really fun to spend all day with Chelsea. It's been nice getting to know people... especially when we have a lot in common. She's from Rochester, and it turns out that she knows a girl I knew from JCL. So anyway, we stopped each other from spending altogether way too much money, but I probably spent more than I should have.

I looked at my finances today, and it seems that I have spent way more than I budgeted myself for. I knew that would happen, which is why I put myself on a tiny budget, but I totally surpassed it. I shouldn't worry because I anticipated it, but I can't stop. And I guess, that would be the general anxiety disorder. Now that I have my schedule for next semester pretty much taken care of, I have to move on to the next issue, and money is a natural choice. Someday, I'll grow out of this problem. For now, I'm going to try not to think about it. I think it will be something of a relief to go back to a place where the money I spend is the money I spend and that is that... it doesn't fluctuate its relative worth, and I don't have to keep doing math in my head.

Back to a lighter subject, and the post title: I was really excited to be in the UK for Guy Fawkes' Day/Bonfire Night. We had decided early on in the semester that we'd climb Arthur's Seat to watch fireworks. Well, at around 5:30, it started pouring, so Liz, Katherine, and I considered just renting V For Vendetta and calling it a night. However, a bunch of my friends were going to go for it, so we hustled to put on more suitable clothing, and leave with them, but we were sort of too late. So, the three of us set off, but then Liz decided she did not have any practical clothing, so she'd sit it out. This was sad :( So, we attached to a group that was getting very drunk, decided that being around drunk people while climbing a mountain in the dark was not the best idea, and kept going ahead of them. Katherine, unfortunately, did not have the best shoes for this endeavor, and I ended up losing her when she said to go ahead and she'd catch up. Ladies and gentlemen, when in the dark, do not separate from the group. I ended up at the far end of the crags, where I had a pretty decent view of the official big fireworks. I could also see all of the fireworks going off around the city, and across the Firth of Forth in Fife (ALLITERATION WOO!!!). It was really incredible, and even though it was freezing, and wet, and gross, I'm glad I did it. I managed to get safely down, of course, I slipped and fell AFTER managing to climb down the crags, and I ended up covered in mud. Oh well. I found Katherine already back at the flat, and we had grilled cheese, hot chocolate, and I watched 30 Rock.

I don't really have any pictures from up on the crags, but it was beautiful, and now it is pretty firmly embedded in my memory, and it will be a story I can tell for a long time. I think sometimes it is better not to have a camera. I can say with confidence that I will remember the fifth of November, 2010.

Tomorrow, Katherine and I are leaving on a 7 am train to Ardrossan Harbour, whence we shall take a ferry to the Isle of Arran, which I have heard is one of the most beautiful places on earth. Here's hoping the weather improves.

Back on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment