Friday, August 20, 2010

stuff... literally

I'm flying out of here in one week, and I have yet to start packing. I've thought about it, but I haven't gotten around to the physical act of separating what is coming and what is going. I know that what is coming with me is going to fit in a 70-liter backpack, and I know that I own a lot more stuff than that.

Rather than packing, I have been (under parental orders) cleaning my room, which, to give you an idea of the volume of stuff in there, I probably haven't thoroughly picked up since 1999. In addition to sheer time, I am a packrat, so there are just layers and layers of crap on the floor. I have thrown away at least 4 garbage bags of stuff, donated probably as many bags full of clothes to Goodwill, and filled up probably two large, Chicago-sized recycling bins, yet there is still more of it.

So, let's get back to how for the next four months, I will be carrying all of my possessions on my back. I think this will be an incredibly enlightening exercise in simplicity. Every time I return to Minnesota, I think to myself, "I am going to bring less stuff with me," yet, I continue to fill my car and then some. I own way too much, and I sincerely believe that my study abroad experience is going to significantly improve 1) my pack-rat habits, and 2) my school packing habits.

So, I need to conquer the mountain of stuff still remaining in here so that I can get my butt out to the store and buy the rest of the things I need for my trip. I have confidence that when I actually purchase things, they will fit in my backpack.


1 comment:

  1. I think that carrying all my possessions in one bag could have wondrous effects on the way I think about life. I am here by declaring that one day I will do such a thing. You are my witness!!

    ReplyDelete